Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Watching Mongolia Go By

After running home from the gym or coming back from a long run in the hills, I like to sit on the steps leading up to the doorway of our apartment building. Listening to my iPod, I take at least 15 minutes just to watch Mongolia go by.

Whether cold enough to see my breath or warm enough to strip layers, I look forward to getting home, to cooling down and taking in those few stolen minutes out of the day when I can think about anything and nothing.

It gives me an opportunity to “stop and smell the roses.” Or, the smoke from a dozen or so fires set to remove the weeds around the nearby school. I can relax and enjoy the sun and cool breeze. Or, I can nervously anticipate which kid will plummet to his/her death climbing and jumping from one tattered building top to another. I can enjoy my music in peace. Or, the incessant horn-honking as one car impatiently awaits someone who doesn’t seem to be coming can rattle my cage. I never really know what’s going to happen.

I waive to the kids, smile at the young people who pass by and say “Sain bain uu, ta?” to the older folks approaching the doorway.

I gaze out, passed the many apartment buildings, on the mountains in the distance. In the other direction, looking west, I can watch as the sun sets behind the towering white Buddha.

And in my little corner of Mongolia, early morning, mid-afternoon or night, this really is one of my favorite places to be, one of my favorite times of the day.

No comments: