Friday, May 9, 2008

A "Rocky" Moment

Usually when I run to the gym I am met with wide eyes and dropped jaws. I may as well have green skin and 3 heads. Some people pivot their heads and watch me run passed. Some stop and watch in awe or bewilderment. Some, usually those in front of me, clear far out of the way. Most of the amazed and confused are older people, though the ages really range.

Generally, I waive to the children as I run passed. Usually, I get a smile and a waive back. The young people are the ones who are entertained and/or genuinely interested/intrigued by the large, white running man.

Yesterday, I had a "Rocky" moment. You remember from the original what happens when Rocky Balboa is full into his training and running through the streets of Philadelphia? That's right. Kids excitedly ran alongside and behind him. Now, I didn't have a mob, but I did have two boys, middle school-aged, who, when they saw me, picked up their pace and ran with me all the way to the gym. This is a good 10-minute run, some of it downhill and some uphill. A couple times in the past I've had kids run with me before, but never for this long.

Occasionally I even see others running for recreation. Hmm.

Cady tells me that every once and a while clients entering her office mention that they saw the large, white running man running by and isn't that her husband?

Yup, jog fever appears to be catching on!

No comments: