Thursday, April 3, 2008

Student Compositions

At the end of each American and British Literature class, I ask my students a critical thinking question based on the period we have discussed that day. Below are some of the better, more read-worthy responses.


25 Mar – Anni
Describe your religion.

I'm buddist. My parents and brodres also buddist. In the world have so many kinds of religions. I think religions are locate only in persons heart. Some people say I believe only byselfe or father, mother and I don't belive any god. Buddist is very beleieable religion. Actually I never read Buddist book. I hope the Buddist. I know buddist's power. Every evening I pray to my god and I turn on the "eul" "zul" It means one kinds of candle, If I pray to my god before go out this day's everythings are shining, every works are great. But actually I don't know is it really buddist power or do I think like that. In the world everything is secret.


26 Feb – Jessica
What kinds of stories do you like? Why?

I like to read the legends. Because they are interesting. There are many interesting legends. I like to read the legend about vegetables. Because I am a cook. Three years ago, I graduated the Professional Training Center. I also like to read history. Because I want to be knowlegable. Both of the history and the legend are non-fiction. When I was seven, I used to read fairy tales a lot. Children like to read fairy tales.


27 Feb – Rachel
What do you think about the American Colonial Period?

People that came from Europe to America were so brave. Because they went so long way, they might be dead in the way. This people open new things for themselves. This people opened new world that now called America. I think that American literature started in this time, when people came to America.


10 Mar – Melody
Why is Mongolia a special country? What is good about Mongolia? What is bad about Mongolia?

Because Mongolia is a special country. There are many historical and cultural heritage in Mongolia. Mongolian hase special custom and traditional There are four season in Mongolia. Mongolia is well known for blue Mongols.

It has a big lands. Few people live in Mongolia. Mongolia has liverstock and many animals. There are many lake in Mongolia. People are very helpful.

Mongolia has air pollution. Many people hasn't got job. Many people live poor. Some Mongolian can't drink mineral water.


27 Mar – Holly
What does war do to people (good and bad)?

The war is very harm to people and many people died. Many children became orphan, so all world covered in tear. I hate the war. Because I think the world must more peaceful. The war bring us bad results. In XXI century we fight not by force but by knowledges. I want this world become peaceful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- Peter, please tell your students that your mother and father read their words and were very moved. Please tell them that although they had some mistakes in their English, they did not have any mistakes in their thinking, and we are honored that our son can be teaching them to speak English better so that more people can hear and read the important things they have to say. XOXOX

Anonymous said...

My name is Dana. I am a student of Mr.Gerlach. I want to say that he is a good teacher. I respect him very much...

Jos said...

Peter, your parents and student said it all!