Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thankfully Some Things Don’t Change

Brett Favre may not be our quarterback anymore, but round 2 of Peace Corps/Mongolia Green Bay Packers football is definitely on! I knew it was back because last Tuesday for the first time in months I was back at it, in my Darkhan office glued to the computer watching little moving green and yellow and purple and yellow lines moving back and forth across the screen. Monday Night Football. Packers. Vikings. Lambeau Field. Last second victory. Rodgers, the hero. 24-19. Relief.

Last night I went to bed with that familiar nervous itch. This morning I woke to the I-just-gotta-knows. I had set my alarm for 8 a.m., but at 7:14 I decided I could wait no more. I got up, got dressed and got myself to a computer. Another familiar feeling: the all too long computer loading process. Logging in. Typing nfl.com. Loading nfl.com. Waiting. Nervousness. Scanning the scores. Jubilation. Packers 48. Lions 25. But, of course. Rodgers is the hero once again.

It amuses me to think that this is the most “normal” thing I will experience in my office or at my school all day long. Thank God for the Packers.

No comments: