Thursday, January 3, 2008

Gold's Gym Mongolia

2 days ago I joined one of Mongolia’s few workout facilities, a small room in a building near the market near Cady’s office, about a 15 minute run from our apartment.

3 days ago I ran to the gym intending to “join.” When I arrived, however, the door in the front lobby leading to the stairway leading to the gym on the 3rd floor was locked. I was told by the jijuur that I would have to wait 40 minutes until the gym opened at 5:00 p.m. Okay, whatever. So I ran the 3-story steps leading up the back side of the building. I was getting bored after awhile so I went back to the lobby to check the time. 4:40. The jijuur was gone. I sat down on the lone bench. I waited for another 10 minutes. As my impatience was growing thin, a man in full camouflage gear walked passed me, a guy who clearly looked like he worked out. So I followed him. This time the door leading to the hallway was open. A good sign. As I reached the second landing, G. I. Dorj flew down passed me. He looked annoyed. Why? When I reached the gym I discovered why. The room where the equipment had once been (as I had once been there to check it out) was completely empty. I called Cady. She didn’t know why. I called Cady’s translator, a member of the gym. She said: “Tomorrow gym will be open 1 to 8. New Year’s party was there. Maybe tomorrow you will come back.” I ran home.

2 days ago I ran to the gym intending to “join.” This time I arrived well after the jijuur’s suggested opening time, covering all bases. When I reached the gym the equipment was still gone. In a nearby room, however, I heard voices. Inside I saw the owner (one of Cady’s CHF clients), her assistant, two young men and all of the exercise equipment. In Mongolian I asked if they needed help moving everything back into the bigger room. Yes, she said. And so began my 15, 000 per month T membership, carrying dumbbells, straight bars, plates, benches and carpets. By 6:30, I had started my workout.

Yesterday I ran to the gym. I worked out.

Tomorrow I will run to the gym…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this valuable information, I hope it is okay that I bookmarked your website for further references.
golds gym